Monday, March 17, 2014

WQ Hans

This week I was finally able to assemble my tractor engine after getting the last of the parts I needed. 
 
Cylinders are honed and how ready for cleaning. All grit must be cleaned from the bores before the pistons can be installed. For this part I washed the cylinders with soapy water and then scrubbed them down with white rags and brake clean till the rags would stay white when rubbed against the cylinder walls. Then I coated each cylinder with oil to prevent flash rust
 
 
To clean the pistons I soaked them in crab cleaner and then used a ring land cleaning tool and a brush to clean out the ring lands
 
Measuring ring end gaps. I used a piston with the old rings still on it to push the new rings one at a time into the cylinder. I pushed the rings on about 1.5", the piston was used to make sure the rings were sitting level in the bore. I then measure the ring end gaps. First compression ring has to have a .015-.030" gap. Second and third rings have to have a .013-.28" gap. The oil ring has to have a .015-.035" gap.
 
Three piece oil control ring installed. The expander ring is installed first and then one ring above and below it.
 
Third compression ring has a beveled edge so that side must be faces up. The first and second rings have no markings or beveled edges so either side can face up.
 
the ring ends must now to positioned in different directions from one another
 
piston rings ready to be installed
 
 
arrows face forward on the main caps
 
 
The dynamic balancer now gets installed after the pistons are in. The alignment mark on the balancer gear tooth must be matched up with that of the one on the crankshaft.
 
now the oil pump gets put back on with a gasket that I had to make myself
 
cylinder head cleaned up and ready to go back on the block. I also checked the head and the deck of the block to make sure they were still within spec of being level.
  
    
 
Cylinder head back on top of the engine block

1 comment:

  1. Nice Hans. One question though. The statement, "within spec of being level".

    Level or flat?

    (;

    ReplyDelete