Tuesday, May 7, 2013

SPQ13 Hans

This week I replace the drag link on a 1987 International s2300. This truck probably hasnt had alot of parts replaced on it in its life time because it only has about 150k on it. I was performing an LOF on the truck and checking everything out. After pulling up and down on the drag link I noticed that it had some slop in it and I didn't like how it felt so I decided it was getting replaced

The end connected to the steering arm was the end with the slop in it

Using a little persuasion to get the nuts off. 3/4" ratchet and a cheater bar

Then I had to get the drag link off of the steering arm. This took a little work and it probably would have been easier if I had a hammer a little bigger than a 40 oz ball peen. After I got this end off I had found that the reason for failure was that this end hadn't been greased in a while. The end connected to the pitman arm was still good because it had been getting greased. I would say that this is where the saying grease is cheap, parts arent comes into play.

New drag link installed and cotter pins in place

No comments:

Post a Comment