Monday, April 15, 2013

SPQ13 Hans

This week I worked on one of my grandads farm trucks trying to figure out why the passenger side power window wasn't working. I didn't have a multi meter to use so I just used a test light instead to find where I had power at. At first I had decided that it needed a new window motor because it had power going to the motor when you pressed the switch. I should have made sure that it was grounded though and fully understood how the wires going to the switched worked because the motor ended up being fine, so I did the unnecessary work of removing the motor. Once I found out that it still didn't work with a new motor installed I decided to figure out what each wire actually did and also to see what the wires on the drivers side did. One thing that I did already know from working on my own truck is that the drivers side switch has to work for the passenger switch to work, but I didn't actually know why that was. So after I did some testing with my test light I determined that there is no ground wire on the passenger side, it grounds through the drives side using the two wires going from the drivers switch to the passenger switch. Then after I found that there was no power going out of the drivers switch I decided that it must be bad and not providing a ground so I replaced it and that fixed the problem.

The old window motor which ended up still being         This is the wire that goes to the window motor,          good                                                                           they are booth switched power and ground wires     
                                                                        depending on which way you press the switch
This is the passenger side switch, the pink wire is hot all the time and the other four wires are all switched power/ground. Two of them go to the window motor and the other two come from the drivers side switch

This is the drivers side switch, the two closest wires are the switched power/ground wires that go to the passenger switch. The pink wire in the back is power all the time, the black wire behind it is ground all the time and the other two wires go to the drivers window motor

This week = 34,  total = 59

1 comment: