Sunday, January 27, 2013

Week 4

This week I got to do another valve adjustment on a cat motor. This time I only had a limited amount of time to get it done so the bus could be back on the road. I got the adjustment done with time to spare. I have really gotten a lot faster at getting the valves set and everything put back together. We had another bus come in with a lose of power so a cylinder contribution test was ran on it to see what each cylinder was doing. Number 5 cylinder ended up having no power. It was originally thought to be a bad injector but after I had gotten the valve cover off I discover that the jam nut on the adjustment screw for the #5 intake valve had backed off and the adjustment screw came out of the rocker arm. Luckily none off the parts had fallen down into the engine. The push rod had also fallen out but we were able to locate that too but it had gotten bent. Everything looked ok so a new push rod was put in and the valves got adjusted and the bus was put back into operation.

The rocker arm that is up in the air is for the exhaust valve, the push rod for this rocker arm had to be removed to get the bent push rod for the intake rocker arm out because it was stuck behind it.

I also got to do an LOF on four of the smaller buses, one of the school districts vans, and one of the drivers ed cars. They all got oil, grease, and an inspection but the car also got a tire rotation so that gave me a chance to finally try out my Ingersoll Rand impact gun.

The drivers ed instructor had brought in another one of his cars to have the spark plugs replaced and since I'm the low man on the totem poll I got to do this job. Its not that bad of a job to do but I don't like to work on little gasser cars. I like engines without spark plugs for a reason. what was going to be just changing spark plugs turned into to also doing valve cover gaskets after I found some oil on the upper portion of one of the plugs.
This week =32, total =78

1 comment:

  1. Good report.

    I like to torque all of the jam nuts with a torque wrench before putting the valve cover back on. Never any problems with them backing off after that. Just a good double-check habit to get into.

    ReplyDelete