Monday, October 14, 2013

FQ Hans

This week I learned about performing starting and charging test with my multimeter. I actually ended up getting a chance to use these test on a 1984 Chevy pickup to figure out why the starter would crank slowly and sometimes start and sometimes not. I knew the battery was brand new so I didn't think that could be the problem. After testing I knew I had good connections and minimal voltage drop and 10 volts while cranking. So I did a voltage drop test on the starter solenoid and had .3v of drop so I knew the solenoid was fine. The only thing left that it could be after that was the starter so I replaced it and the truck now starts almost instantlly after turning the key.

I took the old starter apart to try and figure out what was wrong with it and after looking at all that I could tell was there was a wire inside of it that had some broken strands and corrosion on it.

This week = 55,  total =  107

1 comment: